Saturday, August 14, 2010

First Day Recap

Things went pretty well the first day. We visted Akihabara, Shibuya and Takadobaba. What a crazy name for a place! I think I mispelled it, there might be some more blah blahs in there (:

We were also in Asakusa, which is where our hostel is located. There is a massive gate the leads to another giant gate which leads to a temple where the marketplace is located. I had some delicious corn on the cob and Alex ate some yakitori sticks and other miscellanious edibles we passed by. He got a wall poster of the Japanese wave art that is really famous.

It is unbelievably crowded everywhere we go. Throngs and throngs of people. I had to tell Alex to be more aggressive at train stations and whatnot because if you do not rush in front people will shove their way past you and then you have to wait for the next train. It is all right though. I think I should have clarified that children and the elderly are exempt from this tactic...woops




I met up with my friends Kyle, from the University of Washington and Takatoshi, who I met in saijo. They are both really nice and friendly, so I didnt want to miss the opportunity to hang out with them. Takatoshi is a great guy and he knows a lot about good places to go because he lives in Tokyo. He showed us to a Thai restaurant for dinner that night. THAI FOOD. AUTHENTIC THAI FOOD. I had honestly thought that I would have to wait until I went back to America to have real thai food again. Or go to Thailand, which is closer. But I had it, and it was glorious. My stomach is still punishing me but whatever. WORTH IT.




Then we walked to Shibuya instead of taking the train. It was awesome. There was some light rain but it was nice because it was so hot. We went to the famous intersection and walked around looking at all the ads and lights.

Thank you Kyle and Taka for coming out!!! I really appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment