Saturday, August 14, 2010

Cat Cafe







So Alex and I didnt have the opportunity to hang out with any of our lovely Tokyo friends, so we set out for Shinjuku on our own. We wandered around, took lots of pictures and explored little side streets.

On one of the streets, I saw a sign for a cat cafe. A cafe where you can hang out with/pet cats. The sign said 11:30-5:30, so I was like, oh well, and was about to keep walking. Just then a lady handing out flyers came up to me and told me it was open! I had heard about these crazy places before, so I couldnt resist seeing what it was like.

Lots of people in Tokyo live in close quarters, small apartments, etc and are not allowed to have pets. But that doesnt mean they dont like cats, so animal cafe's have sprung up in Tokyo to fill the niche for pet lovers who can't own pets.

The place was up a narrow stair and covered two stories in a tall building. We were asked to remove our shoes (not at all unusual for japan) and put away our bags in cubbies. Then we had to wash our hands and they handed us ID badges with numbers on them. Then we were led into the two story cat cafe area. They had big screen TV's, a wii, a beverage window, and, of course, TONS of cats. I would say about 50. They were just chillin in every nook of the room, or were wandering around dodging people who wanted to pet them.

The rules were that you weren't allowed to pick them up, but could pet and feed them. The cats looked bored and lazy, and didn't particularly enjoy the 30 or so people in the cafe who were fawning over them. They only approached people who had food, but did sometimes mistake people for having food when they did not. When they realized their mistake, or when the food ran out, they would saunter off in search of their next tidbit.

All in all it was like a cross between feeding pigeons and watching fish swim. I love cats, but it's just not the same when you can't hold them and they don't care about you unless you have chicken. Or smell of chicken.

I would never do it again, but it was definitely one of those Tokyo things I am glad I was able to experience. Some of the people were regulars, and requested to see their favorite animals. Sometimes the staff would inform them that the cat they requested was taking a break in the nap room, and they'd be all dissappointed.

My favorites were the munchkin cats (they had short little legs just like dachsunds) and the american shorthair (silver with black circlular stripes). The staff was also really friendly, and one guy spoke English and was really nice to me.

I think Alex had fun too. It has been another long but pleasant day in Tokyo.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to meeting up with Taka and maybe Kyle again. Taka and Alex and I are going to go district hopping until evening, when we have reservations at this bar that inspired one of the fight scenes in Tarantino's Kill Bill. I was also told that they had the Tokyo premier party for the movie there. Pretty awesome.

I am also meeting up with Bret's friend, Miyuki-chan for lunch in Ginza, the ritzy business district.

Tomorrow is our last day so I want to make the most of it. I am taking lots of pictures and will put them up as soon as I am able. I miss everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment