Thursday, August 26, 2010

Attack of the Centipedes



The pictures below me are gifts from the internet. I made this post when I did not yet have the internet at my house and therefore did not have the ability to upload pictures from my laptop. Well, I had the ability, but not the motivation to drag my laptop around to a place that had wifi. Anyways, the pictures above are from Alex's and I's adventures with mukade, the pictures are below are from the internet. We are not nature explorers, and would never play with live poisonous centipedes...



So last week I went into the garage to throw away some PET bottles into the recycling, and as I was tossing them into the bin, what did I see but a HUGE centipede. About 5 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter. SOOOO GROSS.

I made Alex kill it. We sprayed it with insecticide for centipedes and it lay twitching there for about....an hour. I felt really bad. I decided the next time i saw one I would be humane and decapitate it. Well, I would make Alex be humane and decapitate it.

I did not think the next one would find its way into the garage so soon. I dusted the entire outside of the house with centipede repellant, but...maybe it found its way in before that and the dusting merely trapped it inside...

Anyways, so Alex and I are cleaning out the garage and I told him to shake out the curtains outside. Another centipede rolled out of one of the curtains! YUCK. We sprayed it with killer and decapitated it on the spot, but it still twitched for a while. What weird gross bugs.

The first one was shiny and dark colored, almost black. The second one was light brown. I took pictures and they will illustrate this post one day....when I have the internet again.... Sigh...


Being in Japan has really made me more indifferent towards insects. If it is smaller than my hand and not crazy colors, I dont even care anymore. One year ago me would be shocked.

2 comments:

  1. Are those Bret's hands touching that centipede? BRAVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Crap!

    Aren't some of those poisonous???

    ReplyDelete