Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Pitfalls of Owning an Offbrand Laptop (in Japan)

Tragedy struck today.

My computer, my sole connection to the outside world--was brutally attacked (see "Worst Cat Ever" post for reference). Before I fully registered what had happened, my power/charger cable was mangled beyond repair.

I had a season of a TV show qued up and ready to go, with happy plans of staying in bed all day, but those plans were dashed. I had to go out and find a new cable before the last of my battery power dwindled and I was left cold and alone, with no internet for entertainment and skype for companionship.

The first electronics store I visited was the biggest in my town--Best Denki. I approached the automatic doors with my mangled power cord clenched in my fist. Thankfully they were open, as many places in Japan close for the New Year holiday for up to 3 days after New Years. I looked around. Cameras, big screen TV's, laptops...where were the cables???

I went up to the service counter and raised the cord to eye-level. "Sumimasen, computer charger doku deska?" Instead of answering my question the man at the counter took the charger from me and began trying to decipher the label. I was afraid of this. I was simply going to scan the available selection of chargers for one of similar voltage and input plug size, but now I was stuck with the service man trying to find an identical product. He was puzzled with the three pronged outlet as well as the label, which was in Taiwanese and English. I asked my initial question again, "Where are the computer chargers located?" but he continued to look at the charger with confusion. "We don't have this product" he says. "It's okay if it's a little different," I said in Japanese, "I just need similar voltage and size."

He shook his head in protest. "We don't have this product"

I took my charger back and went to the computer displays. I found a small section of chargers. My friend was just telling me last week how you're not allowed to take things out of the box at electronics stores. I looked at the packages, sealed tight with tape and stickers. Then I looked at the computer displays; a long row of different models--and different chargers.

I started unplugging them and comparing the sizes to my charger. An alarmed man rushed forward. "You have to shut down the computers before you unplug them!" he says. It was odd. The computers shut down instantly after being unplugged. I found a charger that looked the same. "This one," I pointed, "can I have this one?" The man chuckled and shook his head. "No, you can't buy this," he said.

I have never been so confused and frustrated in a consumer situation.

I left and went to the next big store I thought would have computers. I went straight to the service counter, held up my charger cable once more and asked, "Computer cable. This store? Do you have?" The lady said yes and led me over to an isle....filled with TVs and TV cables. She and another gentlemen looked at my cable and furrowed their brows. "Difficult," they said. They were nice, so I thanked them and left.

Store number three: K's Denki. This time, a man led me straight over to the computer cables, but alas, they were sealed up tight in thick plastic and it was difficult to see what the input plug looked like. The man took my cable from me and did some comparisons to the available selection. Hope! Progress! After some time, he scratched his head and said he'd be right back. Maybe they have some more stuff in the back! I thought in desperation, imagining my battery at home getting lower and lower. He came back shaking his head. Another failure.

I didn't know what I was going to do. The cat had eaten both my laptop cables. I have two identical MSI laptops Bret and I purchased two years ago from Newegg.com at overstock prices. I had never heard of MSI before I bought the laptops. I thought wildly of just buying a new laptop. But looking around at the prices, 76,000 yen, 82,000 yen, my stomach sank as I realized this was a ridiculous proposition.

And then, I thought of my neighborhood recycle shop, the Doki Doki. I have always loved the Doki Doki from the first time Courtney took me there and we bought an enormous sectional sofa for 4,000 yen (40 bucks). Since that fateful day I have bought countless kitchen appliances, heaters, 300 yen shirts, tables and other miscellany at unbelievably cheap prices. I knew it was a long shot though. I have spent many hours roaming the isles of the Doki Doki and I know everything that they sell. My mind went to the box of cords I knew was under the display of used laptops--a graveyard of tangled cords and cables. Could it be that I would find my laptop charger there?

Store number four: the Doki Doki. I went inside, straight to the box of cables. A large faded gray extension cord. A camera usb cable for a 100 yen. A TV to dvd connector for 250. I pawed through them. Nothing. After a week without Bret, this was definitely a low moment in my life. I have a cat I hate at home, no laptop, no internet and no Bret.

I went to the clothes section to try and cheer myself up. Retail therapy. Maybe another 400 yen sweater will pull me out of my misery. No, I thought to myself. I'm not giving up!

I went to the sales counter and put the cable on the glass surface. "Computer charger doku deska?" I asked resolutely. The man took the cable in his hands and turned around, heading for the back where they took in and sorted all the used stuff people bring in. "Of course!" I thought desperately, "the back! They must have tons more stuff back there!!!"

After a few minutes, the man returned with a cable in his hands. He showed me my cable input and then the new cord's cable input, they were the same size, but a little different. "Where is your personcom (laptop)?" he asked, "we can try and plug it in to see if it works."

I flew home to collect my laptop and ran back to the doki doki. Here! Here it is! Please try it!

It worked! Only ten bucks and my life was restored back to normal. I was so relieved. I love the Doki Doki.

I hate to say it--but this whole ordeal speaks highly in favor of owning a more generic brand, like Apple. Japanese people love Mac computers, and the chargers are even the same here as they are in America.

So ends another tale of the difficulties I more or less bring upon myself.

2 comments:

  1. What!? MSI is not an off-brand laptop! At least not here in the states, anyway. They are not as ubiquitous as Dell or Apple, but they make a quality product. I'm sorry you had so much trouble finding a replacement power adapter in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, you’re lucky to find a suitable one! Didn’t it fail you after a few weeks of using it though? I’ve heard that cables that are not of the same brand only works for a while, and may begin to get loose after a few weeks. I just got curious since you mentioned it had the same size as your old charger yet it looked very different.

    Regards,
    Lakendra Wiltse

    ReplyDelete