Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 8



I have nothing to do today until 5 pm.

I have finished most of my paintings for the international flea market, and am excited to try to get rid of them. I tried doing some non-totoro stuff. Cherry blossoms and things...they look okay I guess.

I'm kind of in a grumpy mood today, which was not aided by a conversation I just had with a friend. He told me to stop pretending like I was doing anything in Japan and go back to Seattle re-enroll at UW. Of course this is something I think about, but I feel like -maybe- I finished up undergrad a little early and can afford to take a -couple- of years off and do......whatever it is that I am doing out here.

Sure my life feels pointless sometimes, but my location won't change that. All I can do is find stuff to keep busy, enjoy the yen to dollar exchange rate, and figure out what I want to study when I do go back---which is still a question mark.

One of the things I initially enjoyed about living in Japan was that everyone wasn't so frantic about deciding what they were doing/going to be. There is plenty to do here, rent is cheap, and the island I live on is beautiful and full of clean, free water. that's good enough for right now.

People put stock into different things: having a steady job/career, having an adventure/traveling, having a family, etc. I'm not really invested in anything in particular yet, and that makes me happy. I can do whatever I want at the present and still be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment