Monday, December 7, 2009

Soba Sandwiches

Soba sandwiches, (formerly known to me as 'ramen sandwiches' but later corrected by Bret to be soba sandwiches as they are filled with *soba* and not *ramen* noodles and this is a distinction very close to Bret's heart so I am no longer allowed to refer to them as anything but 'soba sandwiches')are hoagie rolls piled with delicious seasoned and browned soba noodles and garnished with a dash of parsley and a bit of shredded pickled ginger. They are delicious! And CHEAP! So when we found out our local grocery store has them on sale for 99 yen every Tuesday, we have taken to stocking up. A while back when still in Seattle, I read a food review of a restaurant that was selling these delectable little devils, but thought they sounded strange. It was a good review, maybe a little critical of the carb content of the sandwiches, but positive nonetheless. I thought it was odd when I read they were popular in Japan. While in Tokyo, I don't think Bret and I saw them, at least they didn't catch our attention, but here in Saijo they are pretty popular.



This is what our fridge looks like on days when soba sandwiches are one sale. These will probably last us a week or more. Carbalicious!

1 comment: