Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Back from my political jabber hibernation

 While stuck at work today, I had the chance to ask my boss what she thought of Japan’s Prime Minister, Yukio Hatoyama. “I hate him,” she said. I love when my questions elicit strong reactions. “He’s a dummy rich boy who makes snap decisions.” I asked her if she was referring to the uncomfortable issue of moving the military base in Okinawa. She said yes. “Post war Japan has remained the same for so long,” she continued, "making such decisions so quickly and without dedicated thought is not good.” Some Japanese share this opinion because of Hatoyama’s status as the heir of a Bridgestone tire fortune and a descendant of political royalty. Shortly after our conversation I spotted this picture taped on a cabinet.





Make of it what you will. I have the feeling that dealing with foreigners for so long makes one quick to appear judgmental of their own government so as not to engage in a “ours is better than yours” argument. I did enjoy my boss’s description of the prime minister, though. Sound like someone?


I hear a lot about the base from my adult students, and the consensus is mixed. Some people like that the base is there to protect them, as they doubt that Article 9 of their constitution will be revised anytime soon. However, when people learn about the trouble the base has caused in Okinawa, they wonder if it does more harm than good. After all, Japan isn’t really inciting conflict, nor is it being threatened by another country at the moment (unless you include America). In fact, Prime Minister Hotoyama is doing the opposite by warming other Asian nations up to the idea of alliance. I think if Japanese people feel uncomfortable with an American military base being there then they’ve lost the right to stay there. If the people stationed there had conducted themselves respectfully and lawfully, there wouldn’t be such strong opposition to their staying there. Moving the base to a more discreet location shouldn't be the focal point of two countries' policies towards one another. If I were the Prime, crimes like these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawa_Prefecture#U.S._military_controversy would trigger a course of action against the base. It’s been a long time since WWII and times have changed. The US government can’t arbitrarily assume possession of a highly industrialized and politically connected country and do whatever it wants anymore. Relocating is the least they can do. In light of recent miscommunications between Obama and Hotoyama, though, what should be a no-brainer is tense, controversial, and riddled with political implications.

1 comment:

  1. Thats where I was born!!

    And i'm sure their military has never done anything wrong...

    ReplyDelete