Sunday, January 17, 2010

Three Coats and a Blanket

Hibernation. It isn't pretty.


I'm back, though. We were on the 12-hours of sleep nights for a while there due to a particularly bad bout of food poisoning last Wednesday. Food poisoning is an ugly, ugly thing. It claimed Bret as it's first victim and then I fell prey two nights later, on Friday afternoon. Ugh, what a nightmare.

The funny part about it was that I still had to go to work that Saturday. Not so hilarious at the time, but I can laugh at it now. Here is the conversation I had attempting to stay home from work:

"Hello, sorry to bother you, but I got food poisoning last night and am still vomiting, etc."

"Oh, so sorry to hear that"

"It's alright, I was just calling to see if classes could be cancelled because I'm in pain, vomiting, etc. and...I fear I will be neither enthusiastic nor effective at teaching today"

"Can someone cover for you?"

"I've called around--no."

"Well, I'm sorry you're sick and may not be energetic, but to cancel classes...that is the worst thing. I don't want to force you to come, but, uhhhh you should come in today"

"Okay I'll come, but I may need vomit breaks every 30 minutes. Sorry"

"It's okay, I will let the students and parents know"


Again, hilarious (to me at least) in retrospect, not so hilarious at the time. It wasn't THAT bad. I mean, the children did exploit the fact that I was not going to put up a fight in the event of rule breaking (they sensed my weakness within the first 5 minutes) but it was sort of fun watching them run amuck, tearing things off the walls. I wasn't going to stop them. I was on the in-class couch willing my stomach to stop poisoning me. One of the little girls who didn't care for the mayhem sidled up next to me with her book opened to the page we were working on last before I stopped caring that the kids were climbing on the table. The good student and I did all the review lessons as well as the new lesson.

Anyways, after I got home, I put on three coats and a blanket, turned the heater on high and passed out. I didn't eat much for the next couple of days but am happy to report Bret and I are 100%. Also, I am never eating spaghetti again.

No comments:

Post a Comment