Sunday, March 6, 2011

Car News!

We're buying a car! We're buying a car? Yes, we're buying a car!

It all started....well, how did it start? Well, Bret told me a horrifying story about how he almost got hit while being passed by a big truck on a highway road with little-to-no bike lane/shoulder so I told him to start looking for cars. After that incident the dust settled a bit and we were both a little meh on the idea, kind of sitting waiting for a cheap car to come find us. What? Cars do that. You just have to take lots of walks and whistle. Or go out at night with a laser pointer. Works every time.

So anyways we've got some visitors coming in April and renting a car for the travels during that vacation time would be about....500 dollars or something. We can get a car for 1,000....so we're just gonna do it. Sure, we can probably LIVE without a car...but it sucks. It really does.

So, today while I had a student in the computer room, Bret pokes his head in through the sliding paneled doors and says, "I'm going to Iche! I have found a car! I won't be home tonight!"

...and that was the last I've seen of him. I watched Dinner for Schmucks and ate some miso soup. Pretty bored... I was going to catch a bus out to join him, but I have responsibilities in the morning. But tomorrow, I may be posting pics of the new whip, so stay tuned for that!

***Update: maroon. it's maroon.... :(
the car Bret wanted on the lot didn't have Shaken (ummm....how do I translate shaken? vehicle emissions/mechanical soundness approval? but you can buy it for one or two years....so it doesn't make sense to me) so the car dealer felt bad that Bret had traveled 5 hours to get there so he showed him another car that also didn't have shaken but they worked out a deal where it would be okay for him to drive that particular car home.

Also it is noteworthy that the different car is five years newer and has under 1o0,000 km on it. And the car salesman knocked 7 mon off the price (er....that's like...850 dollars) so it's a good deal! I guess...

The trouble was when we looked online all the car listings we had highlighted for interest had the shaken thing, so we didn't think it would be a problem/extra cost. But, whatever, aside from the maroon thing I am happy. Newer car=better car. I think it's a 2000, making it the newest car either of us has ever owned


In a perfect world, I would be driving a bright blue 2011 honda civic hybrid

other acceptable car colors include: black, pewter silver, black

that is all

No comments:

Post a Comment