Thursday, January 10, 2013

India Overview

I'm quickly going to give my overall opinion of India and do other posts about specific things. Here's what I thought of the trip!


Goa was a lot of fun. It was the first stop of the journey and if we could do it again we would probably reverse the order and make it our last. That way we could relax and de-stress before our taxis, planes, ferries and train ride home.

Although we did get swindled a couple of times, it was a beautiful, wonderful place and people weren't nearly as aggressive as other places we went after that.  Beautiful, clean, beaches were everywhere, delicious food of almost every variety was available, and people were kind, friendly and helpful.

You didn't see a lot of sad things, people were generally happy and smiling, you could rent a scooter and be generally safe as you explored about unaided.

Our first week we just swam in the ocean, took in the scenery, and ate wonderful, cheap food. It was glorious. The perfect beach getaway.

Then we went to Agra. Oh goodness. I did not think I could find tourists more poorly behaved than in the French sightseeing hubs, but sadly I have. The men were so rude and pushy. And they liked to stare, a lot. of course there were a lot of friendly ones as well, but being an extra in people's photos gets old.
I never understood why someone would want to wear a burka until I went to the red fort in Agra. Seriously got mega-leered at wearing this the whole time.


Then we got sick.
After Goa, which was a balmy 32 degrees C everyday, we were a little overconfident about the weather and both came down with colds. I had mine first and it quickly went away, but Bret's cost us a day in a crappy hotel watching chocolate commercials and hot in cleveland reruns.
All in all it was a good vacation, but a little longer than we are used to so we got a little homesick for the comforts of home. Bargaining and rejecting hawkers every 5 minutes took a lot out of us too.

I'll post more about the little things I enjoyed and more photos

3 comments:

  1. hey nice overall view about India....You write well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Vishal. It was only my first trip and I didn't do a lot of research. So all things considered it was good! Thanks for reading

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete