Saturday, May 12, 2012

Beijing

I really wish I'd had a better impression of Beijing, but judging by it's airport and the people in it, the verdict is: don't go. 

People push, spit, and are generally rude. I could not believe my eyes. Literal disbelief. Anytime we saw someone acting properly, they were from Taiwan or somewhere not Beijing. It was really sad. Maybe I'd go there to see the Great Wall, but aside from that, I don't really see what the place has to offer (I just did a quick google image search and I am not impressed)

My favorite moment at the airport was when Bret went to the bathroom, leaving all his belongings with me in the seat next to him at the terminal gate. There were plenty of seats, but this random couple charged over, pushed aside his things, and proceeded to sit down. They were careful not to look my way, as I was giving them a what-the-bleep-are-you-doing glare of contempt. When Bret got back 2 minutes later he also gave them a what-the-bleep-is-wrong-with-you look, but to no avail. I could never live somewhere like that. Never ever ever ever ever. 

My chinese friends say that attitude is generally prevalent everywhere except Hong Kong. Not inspiring. 

Oh wait, that wasn't my favorite moment, my favorite moment was when we were trying to exchange yen to wuan so that we could get something to eat and the girls at the changing counter refused because, and I quote, yen isn't worth anything. Ummmmmmmmm okay. Sure......... Then they asked WHY we were exchanging money in the first place and we said we were trying to get something to eat at the airport restaurants. THEY POINTED AT THE PIZZA HUT AND SAID WE COULD USE OUR CREDIT CARDS THERE SO WE COULD SAVE THEM THE TROUBLE OF EXCHANGING OUR WORTHLESS MONEY. When we calmly said we don't want to eat at the Pizza Hut, they looked puzzled, and kept repeating that we need to go there, because we are American and they take credit there. So lame.


Anyway, we found another place that takes credit. This place looked good.

 You'd think this is the restaurant, right? Wrong. The food comes out of those shift looking metal doors!
 What's going on back there?
I say these things, but later on we had a layover in Macau, and I found myself daydreaming fondly about Beijing. Macau airport had a whole lot of nothing. No food, no internet, nothing! Way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment